The Cards of Confound are seven hand-crafted postcards, that are loaded with puzzles and art. You will need to use all of your creativity, your wits and your determination in order to solve the Cards. Are you up for a challenge?
On this page, some more specific information about the Cards will be provided. Apart from that, we will explain what the At Home Mystery puzzle style looks like, and how it is incorporated into our postcards.
First off, some information about the Cards themselves:
- The puzzles are of the At Home Mystery style. If you’re not familiar with it, don’t panic. At the bottom of this page there is a broad explanation set up especially for you.
- The Cards are fully reusable, which means you can send them on to a friend after you’ve played them!
- The Cards are printed on Biotop® paper. This is paper that hasn’t been coloured white, so that it has a beautiful off-white colour, that does not interfere with the design of the cards. It has been bleached chlorine-free and is uncoated. Naturally the paper is FSC-certified.
- The printing of the Cards will be executed by digital printers. This is a lot more environmentally friendly than the old offset method of printing, as that requires lots of waste-prints in order to reach the right temperature before the final output can be printed. Almost 200 sheets of paper can be wasted before they can finally get to work!
- A Users Guide will be delivered together with every set of Cards. In this guide, a general level of difficulty and the number of letters the solution word consists of will be mentioned.
- The size of the Cards is 200×140 mm (approximately 7,9”x 5,5”). This means you should be able to send them on to their next puzzle-lover by regular mail!
- The clues that form the puzzles are spread out over the front and back side of the Cards. Inbetween, there is however more than enough space left for you to write a personal message!
An At Home Mystery Puzzle. Sounds exciting, but what does it mean? It is not an ordinary crossword, or something of the sort. It is a type of puzzle that is way more broad than that. Essentially, your task is to combine clues, deduce facts from them and thus find a solution word. The style of puzzles relies on your ingenuity, deduction skills and creativity in working through the provided clues.
A simple example is as follows:
– this is not representative for the difficulty of the Cards, but merely a way to explain the concept of the At Home Mystery puzzle type –
You receive a business card that says the following:
Try solving this mini-puzzle!:) Check this page for the answer.
In the Cards of Confound, similar clues are spread out over the postcard. You will have to see what each clue is trying to tell you, put them in the right order and tackle them one by one in order to find the solution word of that Card. On this website, a step-by-step hint system as well as a spoiler-free solution checker will be provided for you. There is also an overview hint that solely gives you the order in which you should try to solve your way through all the clues, instead of hinting you towards their answers. If you get stuck somewhere, this system should be able to help you out. Another site that could help you on your quest is https://www.immersophenia.co.uk/a-guide-to-common-ciphers/. The ball’s in your court now!
If you have any questions whatsoever about the Cards, feel free to reach out!